Skip to main content

My OCD And I



Hello everyone,
how are we doing?
First of all, I want to say thank you to God and the people that organized this event.
I'm so honored to have been selected and to even be standing before you all this beautiful morning.

Alright.

There are so many things I do not like  but two things are on the front cover of this "my do not like magazine".
One the top right are the people who claim to have an OCD  just because they are a bit cleaner than what could be accepted as normal and right below it are people who say they are depressed because they are sad.

I have a problem with the person, what they say and how they say it.
They basically always make OCD something to aspire for while drawing attention and sympathy to themselves. This makes me wonder where the got their orientation on OCD from, why they felt it should be their identity and why they never bothered reading about it before choosing to be identified by it.
I remember a friend who took pride in saying 'ooh my OCD won't let me do this, my OCD will have an issue with those plates' and it made me feel like I needed to have am OCD;talk about peer pressure.
I  would clean the house and tell myself "my OCD is happy now", like it was a god I needed to please.


News flash,
To every one who throws OCD left right center
OCD is an acronym for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
Need I remind you anything that has to to with obsession hangs on a thin thread.
It's easier for obsession to end up being negative than to remain positive.
We all have things we are obsessed over, I for instance I'm obsessed with the kind of future I intend to have so obsession on its own isn't the problem here but the compulsion and disorder in OCD.
Emphasis on disorder.
When you go to a place that is not clean, do you feel the urge to clean it? 
Yes...that's compulsion.
Now, can you snap out of that urge?
If your answer is yes, why then do you think you have an OCD?
Someone who has an OCD cannot snap out of the urge to clean a place, they are basically obsessed with that thought which will cause anxiety hence making them to act on that compulsion or rather engage in a compulsive behavior.

A person with an OCD doesn't obsessively scrub the toilet simply because he or she wants to but because they are afraid of what might happen if they don't clean it properly. They believe one spot in the bathroom is responsible for the headache they have now or could cause them harm later on so they do everything humanly possible to avoid said harm.
I have a thing for clothes,  for wardrobes in general.
I could have dirty plates in the sink and sleep peacefully but the mere thought of my wardrobe being disorganized makes me uncomfortable.
This discomfort isn't from a place of deep seated anxiety but because I just find peace knowing I can get  access easily if they are organized, so if I get up at night to arrange, that's just what it is.
 I'm  just organizing my wardrobe period.
 It has nothing to do with a compulsive urge neither do I feel I can or will die if I don't work on it immediately, as a matter of fact I might leave it that way till the following week. 
It would still be on my mind regardless but none of my activities will be disrupted because of it.



You do not like seeing dirty plates doesn't mean you have an OCD, it just mean you don't like dirty plates.
When you go to your friends house do you wash all their dirty clothes because you can't stand it?
 No, you make a joke about them being dirty then proceed to shift the clothes far away from you because you do not have an OCD.
 Problem solved.
I believe people with this disorder try so hard to snap out of it but the urge is so irresistible so they have no other choice than to act on it.
If you think you have an OCD because you like cleaning, then you are certainly bipolar or schizophrenic because you are moody.


Things you need to know about OCD
1.It's a serious mental disorder and they are people suffering from it so you claiming to be mentally unstable is you being insensitive to their plight.

2. When you are obsessed with your lover, family or career; it's a wanted obsession hence it might not cause anxiety but if it does, it is an anxiety that is within your power to control.
 The obsession in OCD on the other hand isn't wanted, so it's natural for it to result in distress, anxiety and shame.
No matter how obsessed you are about something it's at 5 at most 10,people with OCD start from 95 and in a minute they are at 120.

3.Not everyone who likes to clean has an OCD and not all people with OCD feel the urge to clean
yes, you read that right.
Ask yourself if the urge to clean is from the pride you derive from seeing a clean place and compliment from visitors or it's a response to a strong feeling of anxiety.

4.You can have an OCD for cleaning, checking if doors are locked ,reassurance, hoarding ,repeating words in your head, thinking, counting and even religious obsession. People have OCD's for being wrong so in a nutshell, it attacks anything that is important to you.

5.According to DSM-5,the diagnosis requires the presence of obsession, compulsion or both.


So lets stop with the OCD talk because people are actually suffering from it and they are on drugs or better still if you think you might have this disorder instead of diagnosing yourself from Medscape or google meet a psychologist so you can be diagnosed and treated because OCD contrary to popular belief isn't a thing of joy or unwarranted fame.
Thank you

With that being written
My name is Emediong and this is
Dimensionsofgold





Comments

  1. Your post is giving me the opposite of anxiety... lol don't know what that is. But I loved the post. Calls attention to some of the intricacies of OCD. I think people sometimes idealize mental illness and it is their way of explaining what's wrong with them without feeling terrible about it. That said, many people suffer from OCD and need help, and the right knowledge about it can help promote empathy and wellness.

    Went off on a tangent. Basically, I loved the post.👍🏾

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you've put your views on this topic. All that I read in this post is how actually one should explain about how serious this is and how lightly many of us take it. Thanks for sharing this♡

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Men

Dear men, Scratch that . Dear society, you know; never mind. I keep saying I want to have just boys because I want to teach them that being a guy isn't so much of a big deal,we all got blood running through our veins. When I listen to some guys speak it gets me annoyed,confused and a whole rush of different emotions I can't put into words. A woman speaks up for herself and she is labeled aggressive. Read the reason I left Feminism A woman tells you this is what she can put up with and y'all say she got an attitude that would lead her no where.  Well, I don't want to go no where with you and that mentality. When a guy does any of this some how the word personality appears in the dictionary and everyone goes on and on saying thats just his personality,"Its a masculine thing". Well, you are damn right it's a feminine thing that i won't put up with any thing you believe a woman should put up with simply because she is a woman and if it takes m

On Being A Feminist

The other day I was privileged to attend an event, it wasn't necessarily a church program but it centered around Christianity and women. So of course the guest speakers would be women but one was particularly very interesting. This lady  went on and on about how Christian women should act, which I agreed for the most part and learnt new  things. However, she took me aback with a particular statement she made "you can't be a Christian and a feminist". She went ahead to attempt to back up her claim by saying "feminism is a cult group". At this point the only thing I could utter was Hmmm, wahala dey o. I immediately had to google the meaning of feminism and right after I searched for misandry. I know there has been a lot of attack on people who identify as a feminists but this was the first time I heard "...you can't be both a Christian and a feminist". I had a lot of questions as you might have guessed. I honestly just wanted to understand where

My Identity Crisis

  Oh, hello This is uum kind of awkward. You would think after doing this for so many years, I would be so courageous and confident to stand before a crowd. It's almost like every event I'm invited for,is a chance to stand on the stage again for the very first time.  Somehow I believe that's the beauty of it all, the nervousness, excitement, the adrenaline spike that rushes through my body helping me prepare so I don't get so comfortable in my God-given abilities and slip up. Well, as some of you may know My name is Emediong Francis Udoudoh and I wear many hats but for this event, I choose to wear my green public speaking hat. Can I have a seat please? I hope that's fine yea, okay I think I would be more comfortable if I assume the friendly kind of vibe position. Thank you very much. So, as I was saying my self and my green hat we want to talk you today about identity. As many of you may know, I am the founder of Dimensionsofgold conglomerate but what you don't