Skip to main content

My Thoughts On Having Children




I'm just going to pop in here like I haven't been absent for almost 2 months but I will write a detailed post on what I've been up to.
I can't even make promises on that but hopefully, I should create a schedule around writing and actually posting.
Thanks for your understanding.

I don't know if you guys have observed that when it comes to having children, people tend to quote "be fruitful and multiply" a lot and I can understand that (to an extent) because if you don't want to think too much about the statement, a direct translation might as well be "to have children".
However, the emphasis has always been on the "multiply" rather than being "fruitful" and that to me is a misplaced priority.

Recently, and by recently I mean last year, I realized when I'm with my friends and we talk about kids and the number we would love to have, I mostly fall in between 1 and  2 with the 2nd coming through adoption but when I go to my room and actually think about it I fall in between none to none. 

Click to know my nonnegotiables in a man


I had to ask myself a few questions and in the process, I concluded I'm happier at the thought of getting married. I'm more excited at the prospect of meeting someone to spend forever with but I really don't think much about children or when they come to my mind I see them as people I can return.
I would want my sister or brother or friends' children to come over but best believe I am also excited in a month they will go back to their parents.


As much as I want to get married really early, having a child never came up as one of the reasons. I want to get married because I want to, not because there is some form of pressure around me or because he proposed. Marriage to me is a lifetime commitment and I don't think about what will happen that will cause me to want a divorce or what will happen that will cause me to want a break or report him to inlaws or disrespect him.
You understand? I plan to make him happy and also be very happy. I plan to always keep him on a pedestal because he deserves the very best.
 
I want a marriage where the definition of love in the bible is made manifest. So I want it early but also I am ready to put in the work.

Now, when it comes to children only one thing comes to my mind: "this is too much of a permanent thing to undo". Having a child is like stepping into the unknown. Marriage is unknown too but with a little bit of control.

The thought of getting married gets me excited, but having children on the other hand just makes me anxious and terrified. This shouldn't be confused with me not liking children. I love them. I also love them better when I know they can be returned.

Every woman can become a mother because we all come with wombs but I don't think every woman is called to be a mother at least not in a stereotypical way. I don't think every woman has that motherly instinct.
I have said it countless times, I understood love from my baby sister and that's when it started creeping into my mind that a child might not be a solid yes. Kudos to my mum and all the other mothers out there with more than one child you guys are superheroes but Nah, I might just pass on that.

I don't want to be a housewife but the thought of having a child leaves me with just the option of being one. If I decide to want to have kids, I want to be really invested in them. I want to try as much as I can not to pass on trauma.

I don't want my daughter to lose her self-esteem because of a guy. I don't want my son to think he isn't perfect because a girl rejected him. I really don't want them to cry or lack anything. I don't want them to be under any kind of pressure because of how the world is set up. I'm already worried when my husband travels for work, why do I need to add a child to this worry?

My mum sacrificed a lot for us and I am really grateful but I'm not sure I want to follow that path. I want to travel and be up and about and I don't think it's fair to constantly change their schools or their friends. It's just not fair.

I'm going to have a chef but the thought of having a nanny doesn't sit right with me for so many obvious reasons. That's my child, I can't leave him/her with anybody.

The world is growing increasingly with bad news. It's like the devil just has new tactics every other week and bringing a child into this world not only isn't fair to me and the child but also it equals a heart attack too.



Be fruitful emotionally, financially, and mentally first before you think of multiplying.
Prepare to have a child. Read books, ask questions, attend seminars or conferences. Whatever suits you but actively prepare.
I understand you cannot be fully prepared to have a child but you can prepare.

Heal from whatever childhood trauma so you don't pass it on to them.
Forgive your parent so you don't pass on the anger.
Decide the words you will use on them. You don't want a situation where they are not living up to their calling because of what you said.
Decide to train them in the ways of God.
Remember the child is really not yours, they belong to God. You are only but a caretaker and if you have decided to have a child the least you can do is be intentional about that gift.
Don't give room for what if's. That's just the devil trying to sneak in.
Don't have a child because you got married, that's not enough reason.
Don't have a child because you want to be a young parent, a child is neither a competition nor a trophy.
Don't let your child grow up to seek therapy because of your parenting skills, read books on parenting.

Just in case you didn't know, as of 2019, there are about 7.6 billion people in the world, and out of that 7.6 billion, 24 million of them are homeless children.
A lot of children are out there without a family, you can always adopt one.

Don't assume we all want to have kids. 
Before you ask the question of "how many" ask a "do you" question first.
And if the response is a no, don't ask them to defend it.
It's a no, it's a no. 
You go be fruitful first and multiply if you want to.


With that being written
My name is Emediong Francis and this is 
Dimensionsofgold.



Comments

  1. The idea of having children is a really touchy subject given the stage we are in life, what kind of life we imagine for the future and inevitably expectations from friends and family. It's never been an easy subject to talk about and very often people refrain bringing it up.

    Ultimately, it rests with each person to find out how they want their family to be structured and how they want to live in those times.

    I like the clarity in your opinion and how it states some really valid considerations people seem to overlook about the children thing.

    Really thought provocking post.

    Really great work. I enjoyed it immensely.👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾 Well done🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insightful
    Marriage alone, is a subject many should think about and be prepared before delving into.
    My father once said that one of the ways to certify poverty is having more children than you can feed.
    I appreciate your thoughts

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Men

Dear men, Scratch that . Dear society, you know; never mind. I keep saying I want to have just boys because I want to teach them that being a guy isn't so much of a big deal,we all got blood running through our veins. When I listen to some guys speak it gets me annoyed,confused and a whole rush of different emotions I can't put into words. A woman speaks up for herself and she is labeled aggressive. Read the reason I left Feminism A woman tells you this is what she can put up with and y'all say she got an attitude that would lead her no where.  Well, I don't want to go no where with you and that mentality. When a guy does any of this some how the word personality appears in the dictionary and everyone goes on and on saying thats just his personality,"Its a masculine thing". Well, you are damn right it's a feminine thing that i won't put up with any thing you believe a woman should put up with simply because she is a woman and if it takes m

On Being A Feminist

The other day I was privileged to attend an event, it wasn't necessarily a church program but it centered around Christianity and women. So of course the guest speakers would be women but one was particularly very interesting. This lady  went on and on about how Christian women should act, which I agreed for the most part and learnt new  things. However, she took me aback with a particular statement she made "you can't be a Christian and a feminist". She went ahead to attempt to back up her claim by saying "feminism is a cult group". At this point the only thing I could utter was Hmmm, wahala dey o. I immediately had to google the meaning of feminism and right after I searched for misandry. I know there has been a lot of attack on people who identify as a feminists but this was the first time I heard "...you can't be both a Christian and a feminist". I had a lot of questions as you might have guessed. I honestly just wanted to understand where

My Identity Crisis

  Oh, hello This is uum kind of awkward. You would think after doing this for so many years, I would be so courageous and confident to stand before a crowd. It's almost like every event I'm invited for,is a chance to stand on the stage again for the very first time.  Somehow I believe that's the beauty of it all, the nervousness, excitement, the adrenaline spike that rushes through my body helping me prepare so I don't get so comfortable in my God-given abilities and slip up. Well, as some of you may know My name is Emediong Francis Udoudoh and I wear many hats but for this event, I choose to wear my green public speaking hat. Can I have a seat please? I hope that's fine yea, okay I think I would be more comfortable if I assume the friendly kind of vibe position. Thank you very much. So, as I was saying my self and my green hat we want to talk you today about identity. As many of you may know, I am the founder of Dimensionsofgold conglomerate but what you don't