Skip to main content

Entanglements

I have never been in love with Nigeria and for the longest time i always wanted to travel out.
I didn't even care what country,as long as it wasn't Nigeria.
Overtime our relationship grew worse and it extended to my personal life.
By personal life,i meant the people i dated.
The people i felt i was in love with.
They had this typical Nigerian mindset i couldn't deal with and the cycle of breakups made me conclude just maybe..i'm meant to be with a white guy.

The relationship became so toxic that i had to become the bigger person and end it
so i broke up with Nigeria.
Even though i ended the relationship i still felt Nigeria failed me,
i felt betrayed.
I didn't choose to be in this relationship,Nigeria choose me via my parent so obviously our love was and had to be transactional: if you meet my needs then i love you,if you don't then i don't.
So when the opportunity for me to travel out came i took it without hesitation even when i didn't particularly love medicine.
i thought;
it can't be that bad,i can study medicine as long as it isn't in Nigeria
4 years in Ukraine,i met my fellow Africans and without hesitation i broke up with Nigeria's family;Africa
I guess i make a lot of hasty decisions.

A child gets hurt
A child makes a mistake
A child fails a class
and instead of connecting with our emotional side 
the child is beaten in addition to the wound he or she already got
the child is emotionally tortured and made to feel it is abnormal to make mistakes
the child is ridiculed for failing and made to live with insecurities.

  
Now the child is punished for being a child
forgetting every single drop accumulates to make an ocean
every punishment accumulates to become emotional withdrawal
so when a serious thing like rape occurs
they can't communicate their feelings because the only form of communication they know ends with judgement coined as love
they only form of communication they know is punishment manipulated as love.
 This creeps in to their lives as the grow so they punish themselves for making a mistake
sometimes so bad they can't rise from it.

Among all the things i detested about being a Nigerian,the way children were brought up topped the list.
Imagine my frustration when i realized it wasn't just a Nigerian thing,it was an African thing.
You can argue that you turned out fine
maybe you did
but really
Did you? 
Emotional withdrawal,lack of trust,insecurities,fear of missing out,needing validation,low self esteem,lack of self confidence among others all seem to be your mother tongue.

Let me take you back to 2018
i'm 20 years old
its a late October evening in hostel 6 Vinnytsa
where i suddenly decided not to have a child
because i'm scared of the culture i grow up with but most importantly i'm terrified of the mindset or way of life i might have unconsciously embedded.

Our parent saw their parent approach things in a certain manner and they copied because they didn't know better
we know better but we will still copy our parent because we have refused to first of all agree we need help
we have refused to work on ourselves
we have refused to accept we lack exposure and destroy learned habit
we have refused to grow out of a way of life that seemed like it served our fathers
we are so rigid in things that destroy us slowly
we have become a community that stabilizes backwardness as a way of life because it's an African thing but most of all because the possibility we see before us is what we become.

I wondered for a while why i acted the way i did but i met other Africans and realized there is a habit that unites all Africans
"being comfortable with letting others think for us"
We have refused to unlearn some traditions almost like we don't have any space for good information or better still out of unwarranted laziness. 
We have decided to equate every African thing as a way of life that should be passed on to generations and we are doing a great job.
Overtime we apply manicure on things that seem so aggressive but core beliefs are the same so repetition is a must.

2000 -2007,
We sang;we were the future
Our teachers told us we were the leaders of tomorrow.
You bet,i believed that too.

2020,the future is broken,sad,anxious,depressed,cannot communicate,emotionally detached,in a hurry to make it,has refused to heal and unlearn some archaic concepts,is ashamed to rise gradually,in a hurry to be competent so they refuse to delay gratification, hungry,short sighted and narrow minded.

2020 there is no tomorrow
because the future is still in the past singing matching songs
so we ridicule instead of celebrating
we compete instead of collaborating
we sabotage instead of supporting
we are so much in a hurry to make it so we skip due processes and end up unfulfilled.
we are so much in a hurry that we skip life to death while still breathing.
we are so much in a hurry so we match past tomorrow into yesterdays.

I have another story for you and in this one i'm still the main character.
The year is 2022,i fly into Abuja airport in Nigeria
i'm flying because i have graduated from medical school
to  God be the glory
and while you might think i want to write the MDCN and intern
i'm home because of my family and my boyfriend who happens to be Nigerian
yea,i'm just as surprised as you are.

Fast forward to my intern days and the people i'm supposed to learn from are ridiculously rude.
Who taught Africans being rude or harsh or just plain wicked equates to learning better?
what sort of mentality finds peace in suffering?
what sort of people glorify the idea of suffering?
what sort of people find solace in turbulence?
How long will we keep believing the hard way is usually the best way?
What sort of people disconnect from their emotional side and as my professor will say
"it's not because i hate you,i'm being strict for your sake"
No,say it as it is
i'm being rude,wicked and harsh because that's all i know
 maybe you will find out there is no justification for this act.


What could be her diagnosis slim girl with the dreads?
Because somehow my identity was centered around my dreadlocks.
uum,i think it is
no,you don't think
you are just supposed to know
you spent 6 years preparing for this
this is somebody's life you are dealing with

To be honest,i zoned out
i tend to do that a lot
i started wondering if this wasn't supposed to be a learning experience.
Suddenly i'm interrupted with a question.
Where did you even study young girl?
still trying to zone in
i said
vinnytsa medical university
vinnytsa,where
in Ogun state
no sir,in vinnytsa.

I already knew what will follow if i had mentioned Ukraine straight up,the least i could have done is delay the abuse
Is that a new state that has just been discovered?
he continued
no wonder you turned out thinking instead of knowing and answering
he said.

Vinnytsa is in Ukraine i muttered
i guess i was ready for any backlash
He looked at me with an i already knew it expression
as if that wasn't enough he took it upon himself to emotionally abuse me
which of course the rest of Africans see it as correction.

Fast forward to few years later,i'm the one ridiculing and abusing my interns.
I didn't like what was done to me but that was the only form of correction i knew and though i didn't like it,it was embedded in me subconsciously and i refused to unlearn it.
I knew better,i did 
i really did.

The year is 2026,cold Saturday morning
I'm in the closet trying to muster courage to approach my husband and let him know we should consider surrogate because i don't want to chant in my children's ear
"i carried you for nine months so you have to..."
Maybe if i don't carry them,i will see motherhood in a different way.

Today is my funeral
and on my tomb it is written
"she knew better but she refused to do better"

I died an African
I refused to unlearn old habit and see trauma as what it is
I refused to rise beyond my African mindset
I grew up not knowing better but eventually i did but i still allowed old habits to serve me wine
I taught my kids suffering was the way of life
I destroyed their self esteem with my unending words
I broke their confidence with my never ending nagging
I taught them it's better to be narrow minded and short sighted
I taught them to apply foundation on issues that involved their emotions because therapy isn't black enough.
I told them i did all this because of love
because i wanted the best for them
because i believed this was the best
and i ruined another generation

Another African generation lost.

As stated by Ghana's president
"Once African countries start taking themselves seriously
the world will follow"
but i took it a step closer and i say
once Africans start taking their mental health seriously
once Africans decides to unlearn old traditions and consciously heal from them
maybe,just maybe the world will be a better place
but more importantly
we would create a world where we Africans are more welcoming to each other

My story is incomplete
hopefully,i will stand here next year professing my love for Nigeria and Africa as a whole.
Thankyou.

So,i was supposed to present that at an event centered around Africa/Nigeria last year but i suddenly became shy and didn't participate and it has been in my notes for a while so why not post it.

With that being written
This is Dimensionsofgold 
and i am Emediong.



Comments

  1. An African man always die as an African because he believes if he changes, he's doing away with his culture and at the end his culture might end up being extinct....
    Nice right up sis😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welp. Wait till Africa reads what you said about her...😅 But seriously, it's a great write up, well thought out. In general, as Africans we all ought to do and be better. Whether we will is another question entirely.

    Atleast someone said it, so that's all we can do about that. Keep talking and acting on it, until it becomes something people know enough to consider living by.


    Nice work👍🏾👍🏾

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Men

Dear men, Scratch that . Dear society, you know; never mind. I keep saying I want to have just boys because I want to teach them that being a guy isn't so much of a big deal,we all got blood running through our veins. When I listen to some guys speak it gets me annoyed,confused and a whole rush of different emotions I can't put into words. A woman speaks up for herself and she is labeled aggressive. Read the reason I left Feminism A woman tells you this is what she can put up with and y'all say she got an attitude that would lead her no where.  Well, I don't want to go no where with you and that mentality. When a guy does any of this some how the word personality appears in the dictionary and everyone goes on and on saying thats just his personality,"Its a masculine thing". Well, you are damn right it's a feminine thing that i won't put up with any thing you believe a woman should put up with simply because she is a woman and if it takes m

On Being A Feminist

The other day I was privileged to attend an event, it wasn't necessarily a church program but it centered around Christianity and women. So of course the guest speakers would be women but one was particularly very interesting. This lady  went on and on about how Christian women should act, which I agreed for the most part and learnt new  things. However, she took me aback with a particular statement she made "you can't be a Christian and a feminist". She went ahead to attempt to back up her claim by saying "feminism is a cult group". At this point the only thing I could utter was Hmmm, wahala dey o. I immediately had to google the meaning of feminism and right after I searched for misandry. I know there has been a lot of attack on people who identify as a feminists but this was the first time I heard "...you can't be both a Christian and a feminist". I had a lot of questions as you might have guessed. I honestly just wanted to understand where

My Identity Crisis

  Oh, hello This is uum kind of awkward. You would think after doing this for so many years, I would be so courageous and confident to stand before a crowd. It's almost like every event I'm invited for,is a chance to stand on the stage again for the very first time.  Somehow I believe that's the beauty of it all, the nervousness, excitement, the adrenaline spike that rushes through my body helping me prepare so I don't get so comfortable in my God-given abilities and slip up. Well, as some of you may know My name is Emediong Francis Udoudoh and I wear many hats but for this event, I choose to wear my green public speaking hat. Can I have a seat please? I hope that's fine yea, okay I think I would be more comfortable if I assume the friendly kind of vibe position. Thank you very much. So, as I was saying my self and my green hat we want to talk you today about identity. As many of you may know, I am the founder of Dimensionsofgold conglomerate but what you don't